Thursday 26 December 2019

NZ 2019 - Exploring Napier (Day 10 of 15)

***The following is the account of the first-person-view from Edwin Ang.***

Here is where things slow down for my trip as I began to get quite exhausted from travelling non-stop. Or rather, after a weird day yesterday, I had to reboot my brain for today. Past week has been the craziest in my entire life no joke. I have covered more grounds that I ever did past few months.

Woke up at 9am and totally no feels to go out. Just wanna lepak and chill at some corner. Still went out in the end to visit Napier's beach, because dang I don't wanna waste any more time. The entire beach is covered with black sand and pebbles, which was rather interesting!


Not gonna waste this opportunity, I wrote a love letter, a 2020 wish and some other troll words onto a few pieces of receipt and then put them inside the wine bottle I emptied last night. Walked over to the beach and threw the bottle into the open sea. Here's to hoping the future generations will see my silliness today.


Edit on 12th April 2020: Some family found my bottle at beach in Hawkes Bay at Napier. They actually took the effort to email me and reply to my message in a bottle. I was honestly quite sad it didn't travel as far I wanted it to, but hey, at least it floated around for 3 whole months!!!


After the throw, I felt so much better and my mind was again back to the "time for craziness" mindset. Walked to Pizza Hut right after to eat my last pizza in New Zealand. Beginning to feel sick of pizza already. GG. Couldn't even finish the large one. Had to walk back to hostel to leave the other half of the pizza for later. 

Walked back out to explore the beach more. Climbed up this part of a hill called Bluff Hill and was genuinely bluffed by it. :) The inside of the hill is a hollow cavity and there are houses inside. What a joke "hill". Climbed to the peak anyway. There's a lookout that oversees the entire port of Napier as well as the vast ocean stretching beyond the horizon.

Spent quite awhile at the top enjoying the view. Staring into an open sea that is void of ships and vessels is really satisfying. Singapore has too many things going on in her ports. Even the view from our Sentosa beach is obstructed by the millions of cargo ships moving in and out of Singapore. 


Made my way down the other side of the hill. Saw some train tracks and went to fondle the lever that determines the direction of the track. I actually waited my entire life to do that too. I was really obsessed with trains as a kid and being able to finally change a track's directly myself was surreal. And yeap, got caught by port security and thankfully that guy was behind the port fences. Ran for dear life after that. LOL.

Ran back to the main street, Carlyle street, to do some window shopping. Today is Boxing Day and it is an actual holiday for the locals here! The dead street I saw yesterday night became an overcrowded shopping district! I walked into Napier's Rockshop (as I did with every other town's Rockshop) not expecting to buy anything.


Until this freaking guitar caught my eye. The LTD EC-1000 Vintage Black with Seymour Duncan pickups. I have been drooling over this guitar half my life but was unable to obtain it because Singapore doesn't have it and no one is willing to ship it in. I gave up hope since then. Until freaking today.

Stupid retarded guitar just hanged there at the corner begging me to pick it up. And I did. I freaking did and it's not even a few seconds of holding it and I already know I have to get it. I seriously cannot believe I'm actually holding this guitar that I once sought after so much. I also wanna kill myself for stepping into this guitar store.

I walked right back out to the busy streets to think but I knew this is one war with myself I couldn't win. Went back in and handed my soul to the salesperson. I initially wanted them to courier it over to Wellington so I can pick it up from there but they said it's gonna take days. I don't have days, certainly don't have money to ship it back to Singapore either. I'll just have to carry it for the remaining 5 days of my trip.


Fumbled with the VISA and MasterCard not properly transacting in NZD for quite awhile. Even wanted to withdraw cash but the ATM was being dumb too. I really hoped both cards were broken so at least I have a way out. But Santa Claus knew I had a bad day yesterday and the VISA went through. I got the guitar (with case) at NZD1590. Boxing Day sales saved me NZD230+ worth of money. This total cost is still way cheaper compared to if I can find one to ship from the United States directly.


Walked back to hostel via the beach and stayed there for the rest of the day, Googling and YouTubing about my new guitar. Can't wait to play it back home! But first, survive Palmerston North and Wellington with an extra piece of weight! Gonna be real fun!

Click here for Day 11!

No comments:

Post a Comment