Saturday 28 December 2019

NZ 2019 - Exploring Palmerston North (Day 12 of 15)

***The following is the account of the first-person-view from Edwin Ang.***

So today I woke up thinking I was back home because it all feels so surreal to be sleeping inside one whole room myself. This AirBNB has been the greatest place of living thus far for my trip. The host even made me breakfast which was super awesome! Unfortunately didn't take any pictures of the breakfast as the host was there and it would have been inappropriate. She made me porridge and dumplings!!!


Walked out at 10am to explore the region. Walked to The Square and it was actually not a 15-minute walk as I had underestimated. It took me almost half an hour! Now I really appreciate her for picking me up yesterday. Turned left towards Victoria Esplanade and the first thing I went to check out is their Miniature Railway.


So cute!!! The entire project is ran by volunteers and it only costs $3 for one whole round. I didn't wanna spend money for rides because I'm more of a walking person, as you might have already guessed. So I walked along the track instead, hoping to see views that only passengers could see. It's nice to do explorations like this once in a while.


Yeah ducks everywhere, even on rocky railway tracks. I could never get tired of them though! Their cute quacks and wiggly movements really brightens up my day!


Went to see the Manawatu Gorge and although it was a nice view and seems to be an interesting down-stream walk, I felt a bit lazy and decided to just take a few photos and scram. Walked back to the city centre right after. Guess I'm really slowing down my pace finally!

It was around 1pm and I was walking around looking for good food. This particular restaurant caught my eye, the Navajo Steak House. Okay, disclaimer! This is mostly a night restaurant but it does open in the afternoon to absolutely zero customers. Except me. I was the only one. The only crazy one.


Medium rare rib eye steak it is! It has been so long since I last had steak so this is a fresh experience for me. The service was great (maybe because I'm the only customer) and it was fast! The meat was so tender and fresh, and juicy. REALLY JUICY. It was a near perfect meal, with the salad being really retarded. The salad is probably just grass.


It was truly medium rare as I wanted. Many restaurants these days can't even tell the difference about how well the meat is supposed to be done. I had a great time dining at this restaurant for NZD25. From this point on, let me be more willing to spend money. I have to remind myself I'm not in Singapore right now. I cannot be saving money wherever I go and shortchange my own enjoyment during this trip.

Next up, I walked into The Plaza and bought a McDonald's milkshake for NZD3. It's been a long time since I had milkshake too! Literally everyone in queue ordered milkshake because "summer" to them is really hot. Meanwhile, I'm still shaking whenever the wind blows. Brrrrr...

After finishing the drink, I got a pack of chewing gum (steak bits stuck on my teeth LOL) from Countdown for 4 bucks and left the place. Along the way back to the house, I wanted to get Subway cookies for later. But there wasn't any cookies left so I spent the money getting apples instead.


Yeah you heard me right. From freaking almost eating junk food again, to downright fruits. What a weird brain I have. These apples are one of the freshest and juiciest apples I've ever eaten. Amazing! Spent the rest of my day back in the AirBNB reviewing my whole journey and taking notes! 


Palmerston North is really an underrated town. There are so many unique little shops that are kind of like the hidden gems of New Zealand. I spent so much time wandering around the local shops today just because there is so much to explore! If I have one word of advice for travellers alike, never skip these smaller towns. There is so much to see if you know where to look!

Click here for Day 13!

No comments:

Post a Comment