Thursday 19 December 2019

NZ 2019 - Auckland to Hamilton (Day 3 of 15)

***The following is the account of the first-person-view from Edwin Ang.***

Day 3 started off with me slacking in bed half the morning. Really had no motivation go out at this moment because everything in Auckland is so crazy expensive. Finished off my remaining potato chips as breakfast.

Was a pleasant stay at Metro Adventurer Backpackers. Place is really clean but much too quiet. I had literally zero interactions with my bunk mates which was a huge disappointment. Definitely wouldn't come back to Auckland for more than a day in the future.

Checked out of Metro Adventurer Backpacker hostel at 9am sharp. With a little less than 4 hours to spare before I hop onto the bus to Hamilton, I had nowhere else to go. Figured I'd spend my remaining time in Auckland back at the park where there's plenty of sunlight and peace.


Myer's Park, that is. I felt most at peace here. Strong sunlight that's hot to the skin but strong winds that are cold as ever makes for a rather interesting feeling. And no cars. I love no cars. Made my way back to the city centre 2 hours before my bus. Rested and chilled at the InterCity bus depot, where it was warm and comfy. At 12:45pm sharp, the bus departed Auckland.


The bus passed through many of Auckland's suburbs before reaching Hamilton. The small little towns all look so nice to stay in. Thereafter, I reached Hamilton around 3pm. It's a huge difference compared to Auckland. There aren't many tall buildings and it's much more quiet in Hamilton. I walked the 10-minute walk to Microtel Lodge and paid for both nights in cash again. This time, it's NZD70 for two nights.

Promptly left for my exploration of Hamilton because enough time has already flown past with me doing nothing much in the morning. Wanted to check out the Hamilton Lake side of town so I went there first. I went into this other supermarket called Pak'N'Save to get myself lunch because I was starving. Got a 2.5kg piece of garlic bread and a 1.5L bottle of water. Cheap cheap NZD5.38 total.


Started my walk beside Waikato River, which is the most magnificent thing I've seen yet for this trip. So breathtaking that this picture can't even do it justice. Found a bench and took some pretty great photos of myself too! Since I'm alone for this trip, I have to rely on the selfie camera for justice!


Really glad I ventured over to the river because these views are amazing. There was literally nobody at the pathway the entire time. As I ate only like 20% of the bread and was already full, the ducks got most of it!!! Fed them for a bit before continuing my walk beside the river.

There was nothing much further upstream so I decided to head over to my main focus, the Hamilton Lake, or whatever it's called. Fed some more ducks until I had no more bread. Just thoroughly enjoyed myself with the cool weather and peaceful nature. I never want this to end, ever.

Wanted to wait for sunset but my stomach was growling again. Walked back to Hamilton Centre looking for food and found this kopitiam-like place. There were lots of stalls and I chose this high class zichar stall.

Ok, they call it stir-fry but we all know it's zichar. Anyway, they did it NZ style. NZ meat (pork) with NZ sauces (BBQ, Teriyaki amd Osyter?!?!) into a stir-fry dish is literally the best thing I've eaten so far in this trip. Although pricey (NZD15.95), this is hands down my most worthy spend. Can't believe they do it better than us Chinese in Singapore.


Hurried back to the supermarket before it closes to get myself 2 bottles of water and another packet of gummy bears. Weather is getting colder as the night sets in so I went back to hostel to rest. T'was a rather great day exploring East Hamilton.

Click here for Day 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment