Friday 27 December 2019

NZ 2019 - Napier to Palmerston North (Day 11 of 15)

***The following is the account of the first-person-view from Edwin Ang.***


Sorry for repeat photos but the guitar's beauty deserves it. Today has been rather pleasant. Checked out of hostel at 10am and walked around Carlyle Street with my freaking backpack and guitar. I don't know what I was doing but it was fun. Got so tired that I went to KFC to settle my breakfast.

Here comes the misery. This KFC outlet's chicken, is downright the worst chicken I've ever eaten in my life. Soggy, deep fried, cold chicken meat. It's far from the standard KFC I'm used to in Singapore. 3 piece chicken so small I couldn't even identify which chicken part are those. Really sad breakfast, should have went with pizza instead.

The fries are nice though. Has a certain fragrance to it. But dang it. This isn't a fries place; this is a chicken place. And dang it, worst chicken ever. Never eating from KFC here again. So expensive too (NZD13). Slacked at the bus stop for 3 hours until my bus to Palmerston North arrived. One of the longest bus ride I've had this trip, clocking in at 3 hours. The views are cool though. Got to see some wind turbines and some clouds covered mountains.


These bus rides never seem to disappoint me in terms of the things I can see! Pretty much sums up my happiness in seeing New Zealand's scenery! Arrived at Palmerston North at 6pm sharp and the AirBNB host was there to pick me up. So thankful for her because it would otherwise have been a half an hour walk with my crazy baggage! The room I was given was a nice little room, much like the one I think I will stay in when I retire! 

Literally this is what it feels like to stay at a landed property! I asked the host how much did it cost to buy this house and she said $580000. That's way cheaper than my current home! Looks like I've found the town I might live in in the future! After eating 3 buns from the courtesy of the host, I went out to hunt for my own dinner and found this small little local restaurant!

Ate their fish and chips which costed me NZD10. Don't underestimate the portion by looking at the picture; I couldn't even finish all the fries. This is why I prefer visiting these small towns that many disagree with. Many have told me there's nothing to see in Palmerston North, but they don't realise that the big towns are usually out to earn money from tourists. 

You can't really find cheap but good food in those big towns. In these little towns however, everything is cheap. It just takes a little more time to find good food. And once you find it, you will enjoy it much more than in the bigger towns, just as I did today.

Finally, I headed over to Countdown to get some drinks before I head back "home". Yeah it really feels like home because the host doesn't just treat me like a stranger, she treats me like a guest! And it's so comfy that I really wanna stay in the room forever. :(

Click here for Day 12!

No comments:

Post a Comment