Tuesday 31 December 2019

New Zealand Solo Backpacking Trip - December 2019


It all started with a dream. In this dream, I woke up in my very own farm. As I walk over to breakfast, I stop on the front porch to gaze at the amazing scenery of snowy mountains and endless fields of green. The peace and quietness filled my life to fullness. The slight wind blew so ever cooling and the air was so fresh that I never wanted anything else in my life.


And so I find myself looking for such a place. Definitely in Singapore there wouldn't be life like that. I truly desire a quiet place to retire in the future. New Zealand was the first place that came to mind because of their unique ecosystem! With sheep vastly greater in numbers than humans in New Zealand, I knew I had to explore that country.


I was actually forced to clear my leave back in July 2019 so I knew my chance arrived. Blocked out the entire 2nd half of December, ready to face my life's greatest dream and challenge! After years of dreaming and 6 months of planning, I am finally ready.


I have planned my 16-day trip into visiting 7 different areas of New Zealand. Below are the web links to the few different segments. You may click on any day you like, but I really recommend starting from Day 0 due to the chronological order of life!

Click on Day 0 for Singapore > Chengdu
Click on Day 1 for Chengdu > Auckland
Click on Day 2 for just Auckland
Click on Day 3 for AucklandHamilton
Click on Day 4 for just Hamilton
Click on Day 5 for Hamilton > Rotorua
Click on Day 6 for just Rotorua
Click on Day 7 for Rotorua > Taupo
Click on Day 8 for just Taupo
Click on Day 9 for Taupo Napier
Click on Day 10 for just Napier
Click on Day 11 for Napier > Palmerston North
Click on Day 12 for just Palmerston North
Click on Day 13 for Palmerston North Wellington
Click on Day 14 for just Wellington
Click on Day 15 for Wellington Sydney > Singapore

This trip has been my longest overseas trip in life yet! This trip is full of first times. My first time on a plane alone, first time overseas alone, first time in another continent, first time visiting New Zealand, and much more! Definitely a wholesome experience that you just have to find out by clicking those links above.


I have been through so much over a period of 2 weeks! Walked a lot and saw even more! From crazy selfies beside Waikato River, to braving the cold at Lake Rotorua, to being intoxicated by smelly sulphur in Taupo, to crazily buying a guitar in Napier, to enjoying local life in Palmy, to retardedly spamming pizza in every town, to hiking 11.5km in Redwood Forest, to buying bread just to feed ducks and to having a weird Christmas, I truly dare to say this is my craziest trip yet!


This post will serve as the summary page for my trip. I highly recommend you to text me directly or even ask me out if you want to know more in detail my entire experience. I can't wait to share what I've been though and I certainly can't wait for my next trip already!


Things to learn and take note for my future NZ trips:
- Book InterCity buses early because the checkout timing is usually standardised at 10am and it would be good to travel to the next destination ASAP
- Double-check booking details because wrong dates is a common mistake!
- Definitely rent a car if possible because much of New Zealand's top picks are out of the way for most buses
- Book AirBNB whenever possible to interact with the locals more!
- Never transit in China ever again
- eTA is now a thing, different from VISA
- Rotorua Downtown Backpackers and Taupo Urban Retreat are worth staying at again

With that, I officially declare that I have experienced North Island of New Zealand. Next up, South Island of New Zealand!

No comments:

Post a Comment