Sunday 24 December 2023

NZ 2023 - Ferrymead (Day 20 of 33)

Link to Day 20's video: https://youtu.be/Q_-AqA_5mws


Best Christmas Eve ever! The weather was cold and nice the moment I woke up at 8am. Decided to quickly head out to explore Christchurch proper. Chanced upon a nice little cafe called Esquires just 2km away from the hostel that is open! Had a damn nice big breakfast there for NZD$33.50!


Then I started my walk towards Ferrymead, some 12km away. The walk was okay! Pretty cooling weather till about 2km away from Ferrymead, which the weather became hot and sunny, which actually was perfect because I got to take many amazing photos!


Damn amazing to have photos taken on a track that is as scenic as this one!


Ferrymead is a place that ferries used to dock at in the olden days, and which the city Christchurch first started from. Hence, railways ply that area a lot in the past. Railways are the main movers of goods back in the days! And these railways are the reason why I made the long trek out of the city centre!

They blocked off the path towards the south of the city! :(

I geeked out the moment I saw all the trains. No joke. A real turntable, a real locomotive, a real coach, all that I can touch and climb. Wow! Easily spent a good 4 hours there. A rail graveyard is exactly what I wanted to see my whole life!

An actual sliding siding for trains! Can't believe I can still see one in this day and age!

Interesting that this Tramway has been abandoned for ages!


A lot of opportunities to take profile-picture-worthy photos!


Classic locomotives and classic train stations! Love it so much!


It was at 3pm when I decided to head back since I'm super tired from all that walking. But my heart and soul is very filled! Even checked out a miniature railway before going back to city centre!


The hot sun didn't help as I made the tiresome walk back to civilisation. Had to put my bag infront of my face for a solid 30 minutes to not get sunburnt again. Dang. Ate at McDonalds again (NZD$18.30) since there was one en route back to the hostel. Definitely did not want to risk entering the city centre to find that everything is closed (can always trust that Macs will be open)!


Overall, I think this Christmas will be much better than 2019's Christmas, however lonely this 2023 one can get. At least I won't be stuck in a cold bus stop waiting for an Intercity Bus that was delayed for a few hours. This time, I have the option to stay in the warm hostel bed the entire day!

Click <<< to return to Day 19 or >>> to move forward to Day 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment